Thor let out a bellow of laughter at Maya and Hari’s stupified faces.
“We did have fun, din’t we, wee laddies.”
Maya’s face turned red with annoyance. Hari, with a hasty glance at her hurriedly pre-empted Maya’s expected tirade:
“Err…. Lord. You completely took us in. Thank you for guiding us. Now, that we got the apples for you, we hope you’ll keep your end of the bargain and give us your hammer.”
“Aye, boy. I’ll keep my word – I am a god, ain’t I? But here is the hitch. No one can wield Mjolnir except me. That’s because the handle of my hammer is short, see? It can only be wielded if you also wear Jarngreipr, my gloves. The gloves were made so that no one else can wear them except me.”
“So, how do you plan to help us then?”
“Simple. I will make this come to you across time and space when you want it. You only need to think of me and your request. But take great care, this can only be wielded by Krishna or Kalki.”
“Surely you know of your tenth avatar, Kalki?”
“Yes, but he hasn’t yet come! Where can we find him?”
“I think the time has come laddies, for me to tell ya a story! Listen!”
“The age you are in currently is called Kali Yuga or the Age of Kali. Kali Yuga is and will be dominated by the demon Kali whose nature is to create strife or discord where ever he goes! Krishna’s death marks the end of Dwapara Yuga and the start of Kali Yuga. Puranic sources mark this date around 3102 BC. Kali Yuga will end when Krishna is reincarnated as Kalki riding his white horse devadatta, exhibiting his eight mystic opulences. Upon arrival, Kalki will proceed to kill the demon Kali, establish righteousness and usher in the Satya Yuga again!”
“How can you be so sure of things that hasn’t happened yet?”
“Girl, I am a god, remember? Plus, this is not the first time this has happened.”
“What do you mean?”
“What your science talks of as Big Bang, which you think is how the universe came into being is not the full truth. What your religion tells you, science is simply too young to understand. The universe has been created and destroyed infinite number of times. Your science now calls this the “multiverse theory” i.e existence of infinite number of universes side by side. Your ten avatars, me and even you and Hari have existed infinite number of times before. When Kalki arrives, the universe will be destroyed in a big bang and reborn once again. In the new universe, you will again have the Satya Yuga or the age of righteousness. The ten avatars including Krishna and Kalki will be reborn again in the new universe. When you passed through a black hole earlier to retrieve the apples, you traveled to another universe. Understand?”
Maya and Hari exchanged dazed nods with each other and with Thor.
“Now, now. Stop trying to connect me, the Norse legends and your own gods right now. You are not yet ready to understand.”
Maya finally opened her mouth to ask – “Thank you, lord, for that explanation. But may I ask why you made us tell the Jatayu story earlier? And why you are telling us about Kalki if he isn’t born yet?”
“Simple, Jatayu deserved to be remembered. Time may come yet when you’ll be glad of the knowledge I gave you about Kalki. Here, I’ll take the apples now.”
Maya, befuddled, reached around her neck for the magical bag and handed over the apples to Thor.
(1) There is an astonishing amount of information about the expected arrival of Kalki as well as his birth, birthplace and other details in the puranic sources. Kalki is expected to be born in the village of Shambala to a brahmin couple, Vishuyasha and Sumati.
(2) Parashurama, the sixth avatar of Vishnu, is expected to be awaiting the arrival of Kalki for teaching him military science and warfare. Interestingly, Kalki’s arrival is predicted not just in Hinduism but also in Buddhism and Sikhism.
(3) Ashwattama, who was cursed by Krishna at the end of Mahabharata to wander the earth covered in sores and diseases, undying, will finally achieve peace on first sight of Kalki and die thereby ceasing to be an immortal.
(4) I apologise to those who are reading this post, who don’t have sufficient knowledge of Hindu mythology which might make it difficult for them to follow the story. The words and the space are extremely limited to give a bigger background.
(5) Last but not the least, you can read more of Maya and Hari’s original background here in the sample chapters for my earlier publication, Maya & the Mind Mystics.